Thursday, April 3, 2008
1 pkg. regular active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp veg. oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 - 1 3/4 C whole wheat flour** (makes it South Beach phase 2 & 3 friendly)
1 egg white beater
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl. Stir in sugar, oil, salt and flours. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough whole wheat flour to make it easy to handle. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, knead about 5 minutes. Don't overknead, or the dough will toughen. Cover and let rest 15 - 30 minutes.
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
* Doubling the batch allows for plenty of food with leftovers.
**If you don't have whole wheat flour, just use the all-purpose flour
1 C cut up cooked chicken
4 oz mushrooms
3/4 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 C chopped onion
8 oz. pizza sauce
1/8 cup chopped black olives
2 T Parmesan cheese
*Filling can range from anything you can find on a pizza (pepperoni, green pepper, bacon, ham, sausage, etc). This is also a great opportunity to have a vegetarian dish.
1. Mix ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Divide dough into 6 equal parts. Roll out into a 7 inch circle on lightly floured surface.
3. Place about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of filling on half of each circle - spread to 1 inch of edge. Fold dough over, press edge to seal with fork.
4. Spray cookie sheet, and place calzones on sheet. Brush with egg white (or butter). Cut vents into top of dough to vent steam. Bake 25 minutes or until golden.
Recipe from: Tara B.